Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hash Browns at Home

Posted in by TC | Edit
At least one of our weekend's breakfast usually always includes hash browns. My oldest daughter absolutely loves them.... smothered in ketchup. Of course we would always have the traditional American hash brown.... trudging off to the frozen section of the local supermarket and purchase a box of pre-made hash browns.

One Sunday morning as I was making our "traditional" hash browns, thought to myself that these would not be hard to make. After a little digging around, I found that they aren't. The key to a good crispy hash browns is getting as much moisture out as possible. 

5 to 6 Russet Potatoes (I use what ever I have on hand)
3 to 4 tbls Cornstarch
Oil
Salt to taste


Peel the skin off the potatoes and rinse. Next, shred the potatoes using either a mandolin or food processor. I find the processor makes for a quick job. Place the potatoes in a colander and rinse in cold water until starch has been removed. Shake out as much water as possible and place potatoes on several sheets of paper towels. Over the sink, ring out the potatoes trying to remove as much water as possible. 

Place the potatoes in a bowl and mix in cornstarch. Add oil to a flat skillet and pre heat. When hot, place some of the potatoes in the skillet forming a disk and cooking until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Salt to taste.

What we like to do is add graded parmesan cheese and let that melt into the hash brown topping it off with some fresh chopped oregano or parsley. mmmm.... YUM!


2 Comments


  1. Unknown says:

    Hi Tim! Yes, it me, Mayumi(May). Do you know me? Hahaha. I am Your wife's friend and Nobu's wife! I sometimes check your blog. It's so nice and these photos are look delicious. Could you make something to me! See you soon. Bye now.

    October 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM

  2. TC says:

    Mayumi? Who? No.... sorry, you don't sound familiar. lol. Of course I remember you. Although it's been a while since I've last seen you. But, thanks for reading my blog

    October 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Leave a Comment